Custom Boards & Mast Mounts

Where do you put the mast on the board, position from the aft of the board?
This would of course depends on what type of hydrofoil, wing area etc. Also the type of board and volume of it matters.

I heard that the center of gravity is the leading edge of the front wing. So in general you want that to be center of where you standing.

I will try my Moses Vorace Kite HF, it´s more to the high/medium aspect end. I think it would need a little more speed to lift than some of the builds I´ve seen.

if anyone needs a high density foam insert and mounts I cnc cut these myself and make for a nice easy install with the standard 90mm spacing. The benefit of the plate design over the tuttle box is that you can easily adjust the angle between the foil and the board to allow you to get things feeling exactly right along with being able to adjust back and forth too.

http://www.greypaddleboards.com/product-category/hydro-foils/

I also do a cnc cutting service for surfboard blanks if anyone in the uk is interested http://www.greypaddleboards.com/blanks/

2 Likes

@charlieuk do you sell pre-cut high density foam inserts via your website?
If yes, they do not show up in your store. Only the shim plates and the takuma foil are displayed there.

I think it’s here
http://www.greypaddleboards.com/product/retro-fit-foil-mount/

aaah, thanks @rogjalon
under “handle & inserts” and not under “hydrofoils”.

sorry my mistake I will also add them to the hydrofoil page also to make it easier to find

How realistic would it be to have a quick release system like this? It would make transportation easier, just not sure how to keep the wires from moving to much. Or even a hinge system?

@Hiorth I see that you added a carbon plate on the bottom of the board too. What thickness was the carbon plate and did you epoxy the plate to the board. Any other details would be appreciated. Thanks for your help

This is how I mount it. The aluminium rails are only there to distibute the load. They will be epoxyed in with some fibreglass. The mast head is going to be mounted through holes inside the rails. There will be 10 holes in total, so 3 positions. I will not use the slots on the rails for anything, they are not very strong. I use through bolts andI only use them because I have them.

2 Likes

We added a carbon plate with epoxy and one layer of fiberglass, and vacuum bagged it onto the board, this is probably a bit overkill but it holds up! If you build a board from scratch, a different approach would make sense.

But this is how we did the windsurfboard mount:
Carbon plate on the bottom. m6 threaded rods with big washers and nuts on each side of the board, these where glued and tightened before the glue was dry (not getting those out again!). Then we added some more glue/fiberglass to make sure there where no leaks. The foil is then mounted with nuts on the threaded rods coming out of the board. Not super clean, but it is super sturdy, and it will not fail. I looked at some double sided tape mount, but I do not think it will be strong enough in the long run (but I might be wrong) and I like to be on the safe side, would really suck to loose the entire propulsion unit :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Thankyou for that @Hiorth. I am using an old windsurfer board too. I have cut it down to 6ft. What thickness carbon plate did you use on the bottom.

1 Like

The sticky foilmount seems quite sturdy…
What surprise me more is that the sufboard seems to hold too…
Even if they were not designed for it, it seems like the stringer make it strong enough to be used with a foil…

1 Like

The carbon plate is 3-4 mm thick.

It might work just fine, I just dont like the feeling of taping my precious propulsion unit to my board. I also belive that the strain put on a efoil-foil is greater than the strain put on a kite/surf foil due to the weight of the efoil-board (and the pushing force from the motor). But again, might just be that I´m overkilling the mount.

Cheers

Thanks @Hiorth I’m definitely going to follow your mounting system. I looked at the foilmount product too. There demonstrations are very impressive but at $269 AUD I thought it was a bit expensive for a $10 cutdown windsurfer board. I believe your mounting system idea is both cheap and strong. Thanks again for your help.

1 Like

you do need to be carful that the board is up to the sticky mounts, I have seen a few sup’s that have delaminated from them

3 Likes

Yes that would be one of my concerns, thank you for Sharing.

1 Like

3M VHB tape is the stuff to look at for applications like this. Spreading the load and tapering out the stresses would tax the underlying laminations the least.

Need to find a good way to open and close a waterproof lid. Does any one know the name of these? Taken form a YouTube clip of lift foils board.

It’s a boat latch, (looks cool)